Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Aspen's Christmas stocking...

Hooray! I finally finished Miss Aspen's Christmas stocking!!! I had intended to make her a beautiful stocking, but somehow time seems to always get away from me this time of year no matter how early I start things {as you can tell by the infrequency of my blog posts}. So I am walking through Target and I spotted this darling shabby chic stocking...a perfect bare bones stocking to make up for Aspen the way I was thinking I could! This is my version of crazy quilting with all the adornments I love....though truthfully I only went through one box of ribbons crazily grabbing pieces to add to this stocking to save time.

I attached a beautiful lace {everything by hand, I think it's a bit faster!} and then I just embellished on top of it with old ribbonwork as well as pieces I made. Above is a little purse made of vintage ribbon with lots of rosettes, and a vintage chiffon flower.

My mom and I have a friend who dyes old velvet ribbon these fabulous colors...this is part of my stash I only use when I am absolutely keeping the item, or giving it to someone who will really appreciate what it is, as they are so difficult to find! Then I made a basket full of ribbon flowers all out of new dyed ribbons and antique gold lace...and of course my mom wants this as her Christmas present after seeing it!

I just weave in the silk ribbons however, I sort of like that look best, more so than something very structured. I could go nuts doing this, but you know then Santa would be wondering where Aspen's stocking is because it surely would not be hanging by the chimney with care!


I love double faced silk ribbons...that's what this beautiful ribbon is...they make perfect bows! And the ribbonwork next to it is my mom's work. She made this little beauty for me a couple years ago and both Aspen and I adore it, so I figured her cherished stocking would be the perfect place for it to settle in for a long winter's nap!

No comments: